How to activate an older version of a port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 17 00:18:00 PST 2013

On Jan 17, 2013, at 02:07, Jamie Griffin <jamie at kode5.net> wrote:

> * Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> [2013-01-16 12:32:09 -0500]:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 3:21 AM, Jamie Paul Griffin <jamie at kode5.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I installed mutt devel myself into /usr/local, rather than using
>>> Macports, I don't recall the reasons why; I haven't experienced any
>>> problems so far but is it likely, then, that I will?
>>
>> I don't think very much requires mutt as a build dependency, so you will
>> *probably* be ok.  unless you also installed some of its build dependencies
>> there, in which case you may already have a tangled mess that will break if
>> the MacPorts versions of those dependencies are updated incompatibly and
>> some MacPorts install requires them.
>
> Hi Brandon, the only library I installed for it was tokyocabinet -
> so just one. Luckily, since I installed mutt I haven't installed
> or updated any Macports so I should be able to clear it out and
> perhaps reinstall with Macports. I believe Maports' version of mutt
> has tokyocabinet variant with it, which is all I need.
>
> I'm glad I saw this thread and asked, even though it's documented
> I didn't think it would cause so much of a problem. So thanks for
> confirming that for me.

Yes, mutt-devel has a +tokyocabinet variant. But if you have tokyocabinet installed in /usr/local and you install mutt-devel +tokyocabinet, it might inadvertently use the tokyocabinet in /usr/local instead of the MacPorts one that we want it to use. So be sure to remove /usr/local before you continue with upgrading or installing more ports.