Side effects?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 11:36:50 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Eneko Gotzon Ares <enekogotzon at gmail.com>wrote:

> To execute powerful commands (for MacPorts) in Terminal, can cause
> negative side effects? (disturb the drivers of smart card readers, the
> display adjustment, etc…).

All's fair for root --- this is why MacPorts uses sandboxing and does
builds as a nonprivileged user, to minimize the chances of this happening.
 (Hm, do we have a paranoid mode where it makes an archive but doesn't
install it automatically, so one can inspect the archive before activating
it?)

I would be inclined to suspect something else is wrong; first guess would
be power, although you might also check things like CPU temperature etc.
 If MacPorts is building from source instead of downloading prebuilt
archives, it may be pushing some marginal component too close to the edge.
 (Electronic components do age and fail, and can sometimes be defective in
ways that only show at the outside edges of their design specifications.)