How do I link with Aquaterm library for an external build?

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Wed Jan 30 13:50:45 PST 2013

On Jan 30, 2013, at 3:04 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Jerry wrote:
>> I recently deleted my AquaTerm version that was installed by the AquaTerm installer which had put a framework in /Library/Applications/Frameworks as well as things in other places. I think there might have been a link from the framework to somewhere in /usr/bin but I don't recall exactly.
>>
>> Now, with Aquaterm installed via Macports, I can no longer build PLplot with the Aquaterm option. (I'm a PLplot developer so I have to build Plplot from SVN and not via Macports.)
>>
>> I build PLplot with cmake and so I think I have to tell cmake where to find the necessary Aquaterm stuff but I don't know how to do that. When I earlier built with the /Library/Applications/Frameworks, it "just got found" somehow, but now the necessary Aquaterm library or whatever is not being found.
>>
>> How do I fix this? Where (and how) should I point cmake in /opt/local/ to link with the Aquaterm library?
>
> Please try to add "-F/opt/local/Frameworks" to CFLAGS
> (CXXFLAGS/ObjCFLAGS/FFLAGS/FCFLAGS) and LDFLAGS in addition to
> "-framework AquaTerm" and report whether it works. I don't have any
> good idea how to make this work automatically (apart from introducing
> pkg-config configuration).
>
> Apple automatically looks into /Library/Frameworks, but not into any
> other place unless you provide an additional flag.
>
> Mojca

Thanks for that information, Mojca.

Your comment led me to put a symlink from /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/AquaTerm.framework to /Library/Frameworks/AquaTerm.framework. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that earlier but I was confused about the previous symlink in /usr/bin or whatever it was.

I'm not a cmake expert and basically have to have most things that are cmake-related explained to me pretty literally. Since I've fixed the problem with the solution above, this is not terribly important for you to answer, but would you mind showing me more explicitly how to add "-F/opt/local/Frameworks" and "-framework AquaTerm" to CFLAGS? I currently have no CFLAGS variable in my build script. Would I add a line like this?

CFLAGS=-F/opt/local/Frameworks -framework AquaTerm

Also, would adding /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/ to my PATH variable be useful?

This knowledge might well be useful in the future as I abandon other non-Macports libraries for Macports versions.

Jerry