Side effects?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 23:34:40 PST 2013

Hi,

> I just want to point out that this is where having a gui that is open
> source would really help: the responsibility wouldn't have to be
> shouldered by just one person.

I don't see how those two comments are connected. Just because an application is developed in Xcode, using cocoa etc., does not mean that the code base cannot be hosted in svn or git, and publicly available, so anyone who wishes to can check out and hack, with multiple people having write access. Handbrake is on application that springs to mind with a native coca OSX GUI that does just this....

(In fact handbrake does go to the effort of maintaining difficult UIs on the various platforms it supports, OSX, windows and Linux, simple to avoid the 'one size doesn't quite fit all' issue with cross platform toolkits.)

FWIW, I agree with the sentiments that in this case,where it is only ever going to run on OSX, you will get the best looking end result (by which I mean most like any other OSX application) by using the native Xcode toolkit.

Chris