homebrew and macports together?

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Thu Jul 4 01:27:04 PDT 2013

Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am using homebrew at the moment, but there are certain packges, which
>> are not on homebrew (e.g. awesome and kde apps).
>>
>> Therefore I am thinking abiout using these two package managers in
>> parallel.
>>
>> I know this *can* cause problems, but is it likely to cause problems?
>> What do I have to be aware about? Any experiences?
>
> If you need those packages only occasionally, you could create a
> shortcut to switch the PATH settings. Often the most problems can be
> prevented by including just MacPorts or just Homebrew into PATH and
> leaving the other one out.

I thought along the same lines - but I am thinking of trying to use
awesome windows manager (macports only) and at the same time I am using
offlineimap and notmuch which are installed via homebrew - so this wont
work in this case.

> The most problematic part is probably if you have Homebrew in PATH
> before MacPorts and you try to install a MacPorts package from source
> (or vice versa).
>
> Apart from that my personal opinion is "just try". Some software is
> written in such a way that it explicitly looks for libraries in "/sw"
> or "/opt/local" to be more "user-friendly" and account for the fact
> that users might have dependencies in Fink, Macports, ... It could
> happen that a package that you try to install with Homebrew would
> accidentally pick up its dependency from MacPorts. All these are bugs
> that can/should be reported and fixed, it's just that you never know
> in advance and developers rarely test such configurations.

Thanks - I will see what I do - I might switch completely to macports?
I will see.

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug