homebrew and macports together?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 02:21:38 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec writes:
>
> I thought along the same lines - but I am thinking of trying to use
> awesome windows manager (macports only) and at the same time I am using
> offlineimap and notmuch which are installed via homebrew - so this wont
> work in this case.

I don't know how these programs work, but apart from the "need" for
removing Homebrew/MacPorts from PATH during installation (also in the
spirit of what Clemens Lang wrote), I believe that having both in PATH
while using the programs should mostly work. In many cases it's not
even necessary that you have MacPorts in PATH at all to be able to run
its programs.

Details really depend on individual programs (and I don't know any of
those you mention).

<from the other post>
> This would then mean, that two package managers can co-exist, or only
> that macports can work reliably with homebrew installed, but not the
> other way round?

It means that MacPorts installation should not have problems if
Homebrew is in PATH. Homebrew can still have problems with interfering
programs from MacPorts unless Homebrew does the same. It also makes a
huge difference when you decide which one comes first in PATH

I would suggest you to simply try (and don't complain too much in case
of problems ;).

Mojca