Macports password

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 14:16:22 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Michael Nares <michaelnares at hotmail.co.uk>wrote:

> I'm struggling to work out how to give myself a Macports password.  Can
> someone explain to me how to do this please?  I have installed Macports to
> my Mac, which is OS 10.8.4.

I'm not sure what you're asking.

If it's about the macports user that is created, you neither need nor want
that password; when you do installs as root, macports automatically
switches to the "macports" user so that buggy or malicious builds can't
damage your system. The "port" command uses and manages this account
itself. With the default install, you will do queries and such as yourself
and installs as root; you would need to manually build and install MacPorts
to get a version which does user installs (and does not use the macports
user, since it isn't being run as root).

The only other password I'm aware of is for accounts on trac.macports.org;
just click the Register link at the top right and enter your email address
and a password, and you will be sent a confirmation link.