mysql fails to start after upgrade to "Mountain Lion" OS

Harwood, John E john.harwood at Vanderbilt.Edu
Tue Jun 11 08:01:13 PDT 2013

I've upgrade to "Mountain Lion" and can't get MySQL started.  I've done all kinds of internet searches and am having no luck.

Previously I could shut down the OS included version of MySQL and start-up the MacPort version with a couple of Terminal commands.

I'm getting a log of "mysql.sock can be found" and "Manager of pid-file quit without updating file." errors.

Does anyone with this same experience have a step-by-step of how to overcome this mess?

Cheers!

JH