mysql fails to start after upgrade to "Mountain Lion" OS

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Tue Jun 11 08:26:13 PDT 2013

On Jun 11, 2013, at 8:01 AM, Harwood, John E wrote:

> I've upgrade to "Mountain Lion" and can't get MySQL started.  I've done all kinds of internet searches and am having no luck.

Which mysql port are you trying to use?
This will show the installed and active mysql ports I am aware of:
$ port installed active and \( name:^mysql{5,51,55}{,-server}$ or name:^percona{,-server}$ or name:^mariadb{,-server}$ \)

> Previously I could shut down the OS included version of MySQL and start-up the MacPort version with a couple of Terminal commands.

Assuming mysql55-server:
$ sudo port load mysql55-server

> I'm getting a log of "mysql.sock can be found" and "Manager of pid-file quit without updating file." errors.

What is the log file are you reading? Can you show the complete lines?

What command are you executing?

Is mysqld running?
$ ps ax | grep mysqld

> Does anyone with this same experience have a step-by-step of how to overcome this mess?

Did Mountain Lion add my.cnf files that are causing problems?
$ cat /etc/my.cnf /etc/mysql/my.cnf

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)