duplicate listing of ports by `port list installed'

j. van den hoff veedeehjay at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 19 07:20:28 PDT 2013

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:09:15 +0200, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 6:33 AM, j. van den hoff
> <veedeehjay at googlemail.com>wrote:
>
>> 1.
>> the duplicate listings do not hint at any relevant corruption of my
>> macports setup, right?
>>

> Correct.
>

>> 2.
>> what is the reason for the occurrence of the duplicate listings?
>>

> There is a difference between "installed" and "active". At most one
> installed version of a port will be active; the others are archived. You
> might want to activate an older version if there turns out to be a
> compatibility issue with the new version of a port, for example.

thank you very much for responding.
I knew of the difference between installed and active but did not
think of it as the reason of the (apparent) problem.

> 3.
>> is there a way to get rid of the duplicates?
>>

> sudo port uninstall inactive

yes, obvious in retrospect... thanks again.

basically, my error was to use `port list installed' instead
of `port installed'. the confusing thing is that `port list installed'
shows something like this:

cmake                          @2.8.10.2       devel/cmake
cmake                          @2.8.10.2       devel/cmake

`list' (after reading the manpage again it's clear...) always reports
the latest version, so in combination with the pseudo-portname "installed"
the
above output resulted, while `port installed' yields.

cmake @2.8.10_1
cmake @2.8.10.2_0 (active)

which is the actually relevant information. one modest proposal for
a fix would be that `port list portname(s)' does something like `uniq(1)'
on its input list of portnames before reporting (Tcl sure has something
like `uniq' included,
I presume).

regards,
joerg