Two active versions of py27-scipy installed

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 24 14:18:37 PDT 2013

On Jun 24, 2013, at 13:04, Frank Schima wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2013, at 6:23 AM, David Nicholls wrote:
>
>> I installed py-mayavi today, and it had problems with vtk5, the install of which needed '+python27'.  When I installed it with the variant, it reported a broken link with py-scipy. So I reinstalled py-scipy (this time v 0.12) and continued with the my-mayavi install.
>>
>> This appeared to go to completion but I now have two active versions of py-scipy, vis.  py27-scipy @0.11.0_2+gcc45 and @0.12.0_0+gcc47
>>
>> Should I uninstall the older one?
>
> You should definitely only have one version installed, and it should be the latest. It is not normally possible to have the same port active twice. What is the output of the following?
>
> port installed py27-scipy
> port version
>
> Why do you have 2 different gcc4x variants installed? You should really pick one, ideally gcc47, and consistently use that by adding it to your variants.conf file.

He probably has py27-scipy @0.11.0_2+gcc45 because gcc45 was the default gcc variant at the time that he installed it. Had he used "sudo port upgrade py27-scipy" MacPorts would have kept the gcc45 variant when installing 0.12.0_0, but since he used "sudo port install py27-scipy" it used the default variant, which is now gcc47.

Ever since libstdcxx was split off of the gcc4x ports into its own port and all the gcc4x ports (except the latest development version, currently gcc49) use the same version of libstdcxx, there is no longer a problem with having different ports compiled with different versions of gcc4x. There's no advantage to doing so of course, and there's the disadvantage of having multiple gcc4x versions installed.