Two active versions of py27-scipy installed

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Mon Jun 24 11:34:31 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Frank Schima
<macsforever2000 at macports.org> wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2013, at 6:23 AM, David Nicholls <david at mso.anu.edu.au> wrote:
>
> I installed py-mayavi today, and it had problems with vtk5, the install of
> which needed '+python27'.  When I installed it with the variant, it reported
> a broken link with py-scipy. So I reinstalled py-scipy (this time v 0.12)
> and continued with the my-mayavi install.
>
> This appeared to go to completion but I now have two active versions of
> py-scipy, vis.  py27-scipy @0.11.0_2+gcc45 and @0.12.0_0+gcc47
>
> Should I uninstall the older one?
>

> You should definitely only have one version installed, and it should be the
> latest. It is not normally possible to have the same port active twice. What
> is the output of the following?
>
> port installed py27-scipy
> port version
>
> Why do you have 2 different gcc4x variants installed? You should really pick
> one, ideally gcc47, and consistently use that by adding it to your
> variants.conf file.

I think the nomenclature, specifically 'active' vs. 'installed', may
be getting confused here. As 'man port' describes: "Installed ports
can be activated or deactivated without being uninstalled."
Installed-and-active ports are live, installed-and-inactive ports are
on your local system as (compiled) .tbz files (typically in
/opt/local/var/macports/software/<pkg>/) ready to activate.

Are you certain you have two 'active' versions, or do you perhaps have
two 'installed' versions of py27-scipy? (The inactive one can be
uninstalled to save space if you don't expect to need to downgrade.)

 - Eric
--
Eric A. Borisch