Suggestion: Time to Use Trello?

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Wed Jun 26 09:57:54 PDT 2013

On Jun 26, 2013, at 8:27 AM, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:

> On 2013-06-26 13:19, Rodolfo Aramayo wrote:
>> Many projects out there are transitioning to trello
>>
>> https://trello.com/
>
> What the heck does it do? The website tells me something about
> organizing things. There seems to be an app, but also a web page, so is
> it a service? Sorry, but I am unable to figure out what this is.
>
> Anyway, how would this be helpful in the context of using MacPorts?

Just reading their website, it's pretty obvious that Trello is simply "yet another" piece of "collaborative" organizing software.

It is replacement for a stack of 3x5 cards, a couple of magnets and a refrigerator. ... :)

While it allows "communication" amongst people, I don't see that it provides any kind of "control," for instance, the way in which any kind of Software Control System (SCS) does.

It seems that it's primary benefit over a WIKI, for instance, is that it includes a more active "notification" system.

      "Changes made by others appear instantaneously on your screen. You never have to wait for a page to reload to see the latest."

This "feature" implies that you use this application exclusively and are never doing anything else (like going to the bathroom or getting a drink.) :)

I believe the similar application found in Academia is called Whiteboard by MIcrosoft.

All of which is to say -- I don't really see any particular benefit to Mac Ports users or contributors.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.8.4
# MacBook Pro4.1 Core 2 Duo [2.5GHz - 4GB 667] OS X 10.6.8
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.8.3

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com