tomcat6 port: I give up!

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 20:21:45 PST 2013

Over the past couple days I've posted several messages in this list about how to configure the tomcat6 port to work on OS X Mountain Lion, and I thank the respondents for their suggestions, whether public or private. But nothing has worked to the point that I cannot merely start tomcat but also view its index page at http://localhost:8080.

In desperation, I uninstalled the tomcat6 port and in its place installed Tomcat 7 following the instructions at:

  http://wolfpaulus.com/journal/mac/tomcat7

This includes directly downloading the *nix version directly from http://tomcat.apache.org. And the instructions there pointed me to what seems like a sound way to be sure I'm using the current Java 7 jdk rather than the old, built-in Apple Java 6.

Tomcat 7 so far works like a charm. (I'll doubtless still struggle with building and installing the Apache httpd-Tomcat mod_jk connector.)

And apparently Tomcat 7 will work for my real intended purpose -- which as the servlet container needed to run webMathematica.

Comments welcome!

---
Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
80 Fearing Street                      phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Amherst, MA 01002-1912