Mac crashed while running port upgrade outdated

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Thu Mar 14 18:38:23 PDT 2013

Dear all,

I had a Macbook running OS X 10.6.8 crash just now due to a "TLB
invalidation IPI timeout".

On that Macbook, I had recently run "sudo port selfupdate", which
completed without errors, and had then executed "sudo port upgrade
outdated", which was in the middle of running.

The Macbook has now been rebooted and appears to be running OK, but
I'm not sure what caused the crash. At this point, I've no reason to
believe Macports was in any way responsible for the crash, but I'd be
grateful if you could let me know:

(a) whether there's a risk that a port might have been left in a
perilous state as a result of the crash interrupting the "sudo port
upgrade outdated" operation, and if so,
(b) whether running "sudo port upgrade outdated" will be sufficient to
sort this out, and if not,
(c) which additional step(s) I ought to take to ensure the integrity
of the Macports installation and of the installed ports.

NB. If answers to these questions are already given in the
documentation and I have overlooked them, my apologies: please simply
give me a URL to follow to the relevant section within the docs.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance,

Sam