'No manual entry for port'

Adam Neather aneather at gmail.com
Thu May 2 15:32:21 PDT 2013

Thanks for the reply, Sterling. The command "open ~./cshrc" gives the
result "The file /Users/username/.cshrc does not exist." Which just
adds to my confusion.

Also, there seems to be some uncertainty as to what I'm asking for
help with, and to what steps I have taken.

I would just like to reiterate that I'm very grateful for the help
that I have received. I know this must be frustrating, possibly more
so because I'm that awful middle ground of some experience with the
CLI. It'd probably be easier if I was a guru or a complete newbie. So
I'd like to extend my thanks again to everyone that's got involved.

As far as I am aware, I have one problem: MacPorts isn't working
properly. Scipy failing to build, the lack of a man page, fixing my
PATH, etc., these are all sub-sets of the main issue.

So, to summarise the steps I have taken:
1) I installed Xcode 4.6.2, XQuartz 2.7.2, and downloaded MacPorts
2.1.3. I accepted the Xcode license and installed the Command Line
Tools component.
2) I double clicked the .pkg, it reported no problems. The port
command didn't work. I ran the installer again, port still didn't
work. I opened a new tab/new window/quit and restarted the Terminal,
same result. I restarted my Mac to no avail.
3) Checking the documentation the only similar thing I could find was
an old message from the email list about someone having a problem with
MacPorts 1.7. The solution turned out to be a mistaken download of
1.6. As this didn't seem to be relevant to my situation, I decided to
contact the email list.
4) After a few messages on the list, we worked out that the problem
was that my PATH wasn't right, and that for some reason my Mac has
tcsh, rather than bash, as the default shell, which caused some
further confusion.
5) Running the command "setenv PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH" appeared to fix everything. 'man
port' worked, and I could install Numpy and Cython. Scipy failed, so I
ran the 'sudo port install' command a second time. This also failed.
Then I restarted my Mac, remembering the old adage "retry, reboot,
reinstall, Redhat".
6) Once the Mac had restarted, port no longer worked, with 'man port'
reporting no man page, same as before. "Ah ha," I thought, "I just
need to run the setenv command again, to fix my PATH". I did so (hence
the statement "right, because you haven't fixed your PATH yet" is
false, as far as I can work out - I've tried to, but it didn't work,
which I'm pretty sure I mentioned) but port still didn't work. I ran
the command again, but no luck. For the record, setenv should be the
right command, as "echo $PATH" still returns tcsh, not bash.
7) I reported this fact to the list. I was told to run a port command,
which (unsurprisingly) failed, which I also reported.

Right, that's the story so far. I'm sorry for any confusion and for
any frustration I have caused. I know you're all volunteers, and I am
supremely grateful for all the feedback so far.

Thanks again everyone.

On 02/05/2013, Sterling Smith <smithsp at fusion.gat.com> wrote:
> Adam,
>
> As per Lawrence Velázquez's email, you need to give the full path to port
> (/opt/local/bin/port) until you fix your shell's login files.
>
> To modify your tcsh shell login files, type at the command line
>
> open ~/.cshrc
>
> On my 10.6.8 machine, this opens the ~/.cshrc file in TextEdit.  At the end
> of the file add the following lines
>
> # This should have been automatically added when MacPorts was installed, but
> it wasn't, so I am adding it on May 1, 2013
> setenv PATH /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
>
> Then start a new xterm or terminal session to see if port is in your PATH.
>
> -Sterling
>

> On May 1, 2013, at 9:55PM, Adam Neather wrote:
>
>> "sudo port install py27-scipy" gives "sudo: port: command not found".

>>> py-scipy is a unified python port; it doesn't install anything itself;
>>> that's done by its subports.
>>>
>>> If you actually tried to install py-scipy, it would switch to trying to
>>> install py24-scipy, for historical reasons, which probably isn't very
>>> useful
>>> today since python 2.4 is so old, and it would not surprise me if it
>>> failed
>>> to build. If so, the relevant logfile would be the one identified by the
>>> command "port logfile py24-scipy".
>>>
>>> Try installing py27-scipy instead ("sudo port install py27-scipy").
>>>

>> --
>> cheers much,
>>
>> Adam

cheers much,