Is Macports version of Spyder 2.2.0 same as "official" release?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri May 10 19:56:02 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM, Jerry <lanceboyle at qwest.net> wrote:

> "The App comes with its own interpreter, which has the main Python
> scientific libraries preinstalled: Numpy, SciPy, Matplotlib, IPython,
> Pandas, Sympy, Scikit-learn and Scikit-image."
>
> Does the MacPorts version of Spyder 2.2.0 include all of these add-ons? I
> hate duplicating things such as Python interpreters, Numpy, etc. all over
> the place if I can do it once with MacPorts so I would much prefer to use
> the MacPorts version if possible.

MacPorts uses its own Python; only their standalone app bundles its own
Python and Python packages, which is sensible since it cannot safely rely
on installing binary extensions into whatever random versions of Apple's
Python may be on different OS releases.

Also, the MacPorts page lists both py-spyder 2.2.0 and py27-spyder 2.2.0.
> Are these the same?

Most of the interpreter ports include per-interpreter-version subports;
py-spyder is no exception. In other words, py27-spyder is what you get if
you install py-spyder against python27 (which is the default); 2.6 is also
supported, as a py26-spyder subport.