Is Macports version of Spyder 2.2.0 same as "official" release?

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Fri May 10 21:24:22 PDT 2013

On Friday, May 10, 2013, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM, Jerry <lanceboyle at qwest.net> wrote:
>
>> "The App comes with its own interpreter, which has the main Python
>> scientific libraries preinstalled: Numpy, SciPy, Matplotlib, IPython,
>> Pandas, Sympy, Scikit-learn and Scikit-image."
>>
>> Does the MacPorts version of Spyder 2.2.0 include all of these add-ons? I
>> hate duplicating things such as Python interpreters, Numpy, etc. all over
>> the place if I can do it once with MacPorts so I would much prefer to use
>> the MacPorts version if possible.
>>

> MacPorts uses its own Python; only their standalone app bundles its own
> Python and Python packages, which is sensible since it cannot safely rely
> on installing binary extensions into whatever random versions of Apple's
> Python may be on different OS releases.
>
> Also, the MacPorts page lists both py-spyder 2.2.0 and py27-spyder 2.2.0.
>> Are these the same?
>>

> Most of the interpreter ports include per-interpreter-version subports;
> py-spyder is no exception. In other words, py27-spyder is what you get if
> you install py-spyder against python27 (which is the default); 2.6 is also
> supported, as a py26-spyder subport.
>
> --
> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine
> associates
> allbery.b at gmail.com
> ballbery at sinenomine.net
> http://sinenomine.net

If there's anything you want that's not included in the spyder port you
will likely find it available as a port than can be installed separately -
the ports don't all need to be installed to install spyder.

Most of the dependencies aren't really required; they are there to match
the distributed app a little closer. (See the +tiny and +small variants to
install minimal dependencies and then pick and choose what you want.)

- Eric

--
Eric A. Borisch