Errors from MacPorts SVN tree -- unable to sync

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri May 31 11:06:38 PDT 2013

On May 31, 2013, at 12:51, Andrew Todd wrote:

> In my organization, we synchronize the MacPorts port tree over SVN due to corporate firewall restrictions that block rsync.
>
> A new user attempting to check out the ports tree for the first time started reporting this error:
>
> $ svn co http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports
>
> svn: E175002: Server sent unexpected return value (413 Request Entity Too Large) in response to PROPFIND request for '/repository/macports/trunk/dports'
>
> I was not able to reproduce this error at first, but now I am getting this error:
>
> $ svn co http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports
> svn: E175002: Server sent unexpected return value (413 Request Entity Too Large) in response to REPORT request for '/repository/macports/!svn/vcc/default'
>
> Is there something going on with the SVN server's configuration right now?

Andrew, I'm not aware of any recent changes to the Subversion server configuration. But ports get added all the time, so the size of a complete checkout keeps getting larger; we may have recently exceeded an artificial server-imposed limit.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-users/201206.mbox/%3cCAB84uBU_N30Ua6Cfe_RpxHGsCpZ50ft2SbogcyYPyechYbaQew@mail.gmail.com%3e

Bill, can you check the Subversion server's error log? Are we using the LimitXMLRequestBody directive in the server's Apache configuration? If not, can we set it to 0 please, to disable the limit?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#limitxmlrequestbody