libgcc 4.8.1 errors on a fresh install macports for Mavericks (OS X 10.9)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 3 10:44:51 PST 2013

On Nov 3, 2013, at 07:24, William Capehart wrote:

> On any other day, I¹d concur that this isn¹t something you should try at
> home or even at your friends house (even if you don¹t like them).  But
> unfortunately commenting out the counterpart lines in ³module.c² in the
> macport libgcc area creates more errors and I am unsure as to how to
> navigate the problem.  I restored the line in vm_types.h as soon as I had
> gcc48 build and it passed my tests for c and fortran including OMP and
> MPICH once it was installed.  And after the restoration netcdf, those
> tests passed also.  (The big test is ncarg but that¹s an extensive build.)

Yeah, I didn’t have a better suggestion to you, just wanted to be on record against modifying /usr/include.

> I have found some very old trouble tickets on an error similar to this
> such as this one...
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24541
>
> ...but based on the content of the commentary on them I don¹t see any
> specific guidance that I can implement.  I am already at the frontiers of
> my expertise.

Two people in that ticket revealed that the problem was that they had previously modified /usr/include to add a symlink from /usr/include/malloc.h to /usr/include/malloc/malloc.h, and that removing that symlink fixed the build problem. Have you perhaps also created such a symlink before?