Macports, Mavericks, LaTeX/XeTeX, PDF files, and "Trace/BPT trap: 5"

Dimitris Diochnos diochnos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 05:45:06 PST 2013

Dear All,

I am sending this email as it appears that the recent version of
texlive that comes with MacPorts does not generate valid pdf
documents, or at least Preview is not able to handle them correctly.

I have installed poppler with the extension +qt4+quartz since I also
wanted Okular and Kile to be installed through MacPorts.

In a nutshell, even though one can compile with "latex" the .tex file
and then use a command of the form "dvipdf/dvipdfm/etc" in order to
generate the pdf file from the dvi file that was generated using
"latex", then attempting to open the pdf file with a command of the
form:

open myFile.pdf

returns a

Trace/BPT trap: 5

and the file never opens. Moreover, if one first opens Preview and
then opens the file through the route "File>Open...", even if the
document appears on the screen, one can not scroll!

The same problem with the pdf file remains when one is using directly
"pdflatex" for generating the pdf file, or even if someone uses XeTeX
and the command "xelatex" for the generation of the document.

Quite surprisingly, opening the dvi file with Okular, one is actually
able to scroll through the document.

Finally, pdf files that I have generated in the past using Mountain
Lion and the respective texlive ports through MacPorts back when I was
using Mountain Lion, I can actually open them from the command line
using a command of the form

open myFile.pdf

Generating a pdf file using the following simple document has the
issues that I describe above:
$ cat basic.tex
\documentclass[letterpaper,11pt]{article}
\begin{document}
\title{A title}
\author{An author}
\date{A date}
\maketitle
\begin{abstract}
Abstract goes here
\end{abstract}
\section{Introduction}
Hi there!
\end{document}
$

Is anyone else also experiencing such problems? I honestly believe
there is something wrong with the current ports even if everything
managed to compile during the installation of Kile and all of Kile's
dependencies.

Best regards,
Dimitris