Web-based Spotlight server search functionality?

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 03:38:58 PST 2013

Hello all,

I've got MacPorts running nicely on a Mac which is running OS X 10.9
Mavericks with Server App 3 (hence "Mac OS X Server"). One of the things my
colleagues are quite enjoying on their MacBooks with OS X 10.9 is Mavericks
Finder improvements for tagging files and folders. The tagging (add of file
metadata) works quite nicely when, for example, a file share volume or
folder is mounted from the server to the MacBook laptops via AFP. Hence,
one can tag files residing on a file share quite readily, and then its
quite nice to search metadata such as key words on the shared (AFP) volumes
from the same MacBook laptops.

My colleagues are starting to get "spoiled" by this and several of them
have iPads as well. They want to use their iPads to search Spotlight
indexed file system metadata from their iPads. Ideally this could be done
with some sort of web user interface in Safari, although there may be some
dedicated standalone iOS apps which could do this as well but so far I have
not seen any standalone file browsing iOS apps that support searching
against Spotlight's indexes on shared volumes on the server.

So my question is, are there any MacPorts that might be useful for, say,
the ability to search server volumes via a web interface (perhaps an Apache
module)? I'm still looking around but I haven't found much and I'm kind of
surprised because it strikes me as a very useful feature.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Tabitha