Macports py26-numpy Issue on OS X Mavericks

david laxer dbl001 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 23 12:01:51 PST 2013

Removing the 'ancient' OsX SDK (and /Developer directory) solved the problem.

Many Thanks!

On Saturday, November 23, 2013 11:43 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

On Nov 23, 2013, at 10:07, david laxer wrote:

> Now, I'm getting errors building a python package (e.g. - milk) with easy_install (and in PyCharm).
>
> Could this be related to the MacPorts problem?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> sudo easy_install milk
> Searching for milk
> Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/milk/
> Best match: milk 0.5.3
> Downloading https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/m/milk/milk-0.5.3.tar.gz#md5=e0b7db663b29f050fb47bb49eb8d7411
> Processing milk-0.5.3.tar.gz
> Writing /tmp/easy_install-z1VbO9/milk-0.5.3/setup.cfg
> Running milk-0.5.3/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-z1VbO9/milk-0.5.3/egg-dist-tmp-5EEIYL
> In file included from milk/supervised/_perceptron.cpp:4:
> In file included from /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/c++/v1/iostream:40:
> In file included from /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/c++/v1/istream:156:
> In file included from /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/c++/v1/ostream:132:
> In file included from /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/c++/v1/locale:187:
> In file included from /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/c++/v1/cstdlib:86:
> In file included from /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/include/stdlib.h:61:

You're running Mavericks, so the oldest OS X SDK you should have is for OS X v10.8. In fact the entire /Developer directory should no longer exist as of Xcode 4.3. Depending on how old the version of OS X was that you upgraded from, perhaps this did not get cleaned up properly. I’m guessing you upgraded from Snow Leopard?

You should probably run the devtools uninstallation script, if it still exists:

sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

Then, if it still remains, delete the /Developer folder.

The uninstall script may have deleted parts of the new Xcode command line tools that you still need, so you should reinstall the Xcode command line tools.

Since Xcode itself is in a different location now than it was then, the old uninstall script shouldn’t have touched it and you shouldn’t need to reinstall it.