XeTeX - back to original brokenness

Lenore Horner LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 1 04:02:02 PDT 2013

A big thank you to people here who helped me get back to where I was yesterday afternoon after I reinstalled MacPorts from scratch.

The bad news is, that didn't fix the original problem.  I cannot use \includegraphics{file.png} anymore in my files.  When I do, I get the following.

(see the transcript file for additional information)
Error 6 (driver return code) generating output;
file HW06-07_Ch08.pdf may not be valid.

And, in fact, Skim refuses to open the file.  I've tried 3 different examples from within a couple of different documents, two of which are files that I have previously been able to use this way.  I'm reasonably sure the png files themselves are not broken.

The only differences in the log file between running with the \includegraphics line commented out and left in are the lines that say the png is being read, some minor changes in values for the number of characters, words, etc under resources used (both expected) and the error message above in one version and not the other.

Here's a minimal example using a png file that worked before I upgraded my operating system and started this whole saga.