xulrunner +universal variant

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 15 22:09:03 PDT 2013

On Oct 15, 2013, at 15:07, sarvi wrote:

> I am getting an error trying to install -universal as below
>
> localhost:build sarvi$ sudo port install xulrunner -universal
> --->  Computing dependencies for xulrunner
> Error: Cannot install xulrunner for the arch(s) 'i386' because
> Error: its dependency nss does not build for the required arch(s) by default
> Error: and does not have a universal variant.
> Error: Unable to execute port: architecture mismatch
> localhost:build sarvi$

Ah right, I remember now. The xulrunner port is currently 32-bit only, so on systems that build 64-bit by default (i.e. Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and later on 64-bit Macs) nss needs to be universal. Sorry, working around that is not easy.

xulrunner was dropped by its MacPorts maintainer 18 months ago because it was too difficult to maintain. The port is therefore extremely out of date: the port is for version 1.9.2.16; the current version is 24.0. Why do you need xulrunner?

> I currently have a whole set of stuff defined as +universal
>
> Can I mix universal and -universal in a port installation?

Sure. Of course, anything installed +universal needs its dependencies installed +universal too (except of course those ports that don't install any architecture-specific files and therefore don't have universal variants). When you ask to install a port with +universal MacPorts will make sure this happens. It's still possible for you to shoot yourself in the foot by later replacing one of those universal dependencies with non-universal versions, so don't do that.

> If I have to redo the installation with -universal is there a way to take a
> snapshot of the current install and reproduce it again?

There's no need to do so in this case, but there is a script to help do that in the Migration wiki page.