Having problems building wireshark plugin for Ubertooth One - header files missing

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 10:43:47 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) <
smith.kennedy at hp.com> wrote:

> I'm in the process of trying to build the Wireshark plugin for the
> Ubertooth One.  The instructions are here:
>
> http://ubertooth.sourceforge.net/usage/build/#osx
>
> The issue I'm having is building the Wireshark plugin.  Following these
> instructions (that need to be fixed):
>
> >   sudo port install wireshark wireshark-devel cmake

This isn't a Debian derivative and this isn't a Red Hat derivative.  (No,
not even all Linuxes divide those up.) wireshark-devel is an alpha release,
not a developer library --- and, while I haven't looked, it may well be the
*previous* alpha release.

Don't install wireshark-devel unless you really need that particular
version.
Don't blindly trust Linux install instructions; OS X is BSDish, not
Linuxish. MacPorts is BSD ports/pkgsrc, not RPM, not APT; the closest Linux
equivalent is Gentoo portage.

> /opt/local/include/wireshark/epan/packet_info.h:31:10: fatal error:
> >       'wmem/wmem_core.h' file not found
> > #include "wmem/wmem_core.h"

Are you sure this include file has any relevance on non-Linux? For example,
Linux kernel drivers do you no good whatsoever on OS X and never will.