Mirrors list

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Oct 23 13:50:20 PDT 2013

On Oct 23, 2013, at 4:42 PM, Timothy Hart <tjhart at me.com> wrote:
> Is the list of mirrors fairly stable? I'm referring to the contents of the file at
>
> rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/_resources/port1.0/fetch/mirror_sites.tcl
> and
> rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/_resources/port1.0/fetch/archive_sites.tcl

You can see for yourself since they're stored in our svn repository.

The trac browser might answer your question: https://trac.macports.org/log/trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/fetch

> Why?
> I have an issue in my organization where our DNS servers are configured to 'helpfully' give an IP address back for every query. In cases where the host is actually not known, the IP address is configured to perform a search and respond with an HTML page. As a result macports installs can fail when the first mirror site is not found.
>
> The network group is willing to consider white-listing macports mirror sites for us as a solution. I want to make sure that maintaining a whitelist of (currently over 300) mirrors won't turn into a maintenance headache.

maybe you can remind your network group that not all internet traffic is webservers <-> web browsers? (and/or maybe you can use your own dns server so you aren't using the broken ones that your organization provides?)

--
Daniel J. Luke