Should you upgrade to Mavericks?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 23 18:24:02 PDT 2013

I would like to remind MacPorts users that before you upgrade to a new major OS version, you should verify that all the programs you use are compatible with that OS version.

At this time, MacPorts does not offer a pre-compiled release for Mavericks. You can build MacPorts trunk from source and it appears to work on Mavericks. We will try to make a new release soon.

Many ports still do not build on Mavericks. We are still discovering and investigating these problems. It will probably be weeks or months before they’re all resolved.

If you would like to be at the forefront of helping to discover and fix such problems, by all means upgrade to Mavericks and be involved in the issue tracker and on the macports-dev mailing list.

But if you just want to use some software and not encounter problems, you probably should not upgrade to Mavericks just yet.