Python and Tkinter

ugajin at talktalk.net ugajin at talktalk.net
Tue Apr 1 17:15:35 PDT 2014

 I run OSX v10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and I have a few versions of Python installed. The latest version is 2.7.6 installed itself along with (I beleive) a Macport installation of Fontforge. Being a Macport installation it is not located in the usual System > Library > . . . location. Nonetheless, if I run Terminal in interactive Python mode, this is the (default) version launched.

I do not seem to be able to launch IDLE, but more importantly to me, is that I wish to install TKinter. I have downloaded the installer from ActiveState but I have not run it (at the time of writing). This is what the Read Me file states:

ActiveTcl 8.5.15.1.297588 installs
 Tcl as a framework in "/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5".
 Tk as a framework in  "/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5".
 the packages in "/Library/Tcl/".

Symbolic links and stubs are created in    "/usr/local/bin" for launching tclsh,    and wish from the command line.
Symbolic links are created in    "/Applications/Utilities" for launching    wish from the Finder, Panel, etc.
The ActiveTcl documentation is installed in the Tcl    framework, but a symbolic link is created in    "/Library/Documentation/Help/ActiveTcl-8.5"    to them.
The question is; should I proceed with the ActiveState installation, or is their a better alternative Port option?

I am concerned that the location of Python v2.7.6 which is located in /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7 may be on issue.

Many thanks.

-A