Python and Tkinter

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Apr 1 19:39:57 PDT 2014

On Apr 1, 2014, at 19:15, ugajin at talktalk.net wrote:

> I run OSX v10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and I have a few versions of Python installed. The latest version is 2.7.6 installed itself along with (I beleive) a Macport installation of Fontforge. Being a Macport installation it is not located in the usual System > Library > . . . location. Nonetheless, if I run Terminal in interactive Python mode, this is the (default) version launched.

Presumably because at some time you requested for that to happen, by running:

sudo port select python python27

If you want to return to the OS X version of python being default, you would run:

sudo port select python none

> I do not seem to be able to launch IDLE, but more importantly to me, is that I wish to install TKinter. I have downloaded the installer from ActiveState but I have not run it (at the time of writing). This is what the Read Me file states:
> 	• ActiveTcl 8.5.15.1.297588 installs
> 		• Tcl as a framework in "/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5".
> 		• Tk as a framework in "/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5".
> 		• the packages in "/Library/Tcl/".
> 	• Symbolic links and stubs are created in "/usr/local/bin" for launching tclsh, and wish from the command line.
> 	• Symbolic links are created in "/Applications/Utilities" for launching wish from the Finder, Panel, etc.
> 	• The ActiveTcl documentation is installed in the Tcl framework, but a symbolic link is created in "/Library/Documentation/Help/ActiveTcl-8.5" to them.
> The question is; should I proceed with the ActiveState installation, or is their a better alternative Port option?
>
> I am concerned that the location of Python v2.7.6 which is located in /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7 may be on issue.

Software installed in /usr/local or /Library/Frameworks often causes problems for MacPorts-installed software. You should use MacPorts, or manually-installed software in those locations, not both together; to avoid problems, please uninstall the one you don’t want to use.

If you want to stick with MacPorts, then IDLE is already included with the python27 port, and tkinter is in the py27-tkinter port. If they don’t work, please report the bugs to us.