pbzip2 isn't faster

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Apr 6 02:15:04 PDT 2014

> The only reservation I have is inexperience with lbzip2, and at least one comparison I saw cited high memory requirements and out of memory crashes with lbzip2. I will have to find the page when I'm back at a computer, and it may very well have been addressed by now.

That applies to anything, until you use it for the first time ;)

But yes, if it has issues like these you describe, we should test it. I would bet though that if it did have such problems, they would be fixed pretty sharpish ...

> Not being updated in a while is not a bad sign for a tool you just want to work.

Apologies, I wasn’t intending to imply it was better maintained than pbzip2, just to seems to have good support of its own upstream. The fact Fedora plans to switch to it is also I think a good sign.

> The unzipping anything in parallel, however, is a distinct advantage, and makes it worth examining.

I think, if true, it would be a killer point, as it would mean we would benefit automatically, with existing archives.