pbzip2 isn't faster

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Thu Apr 24 22:59:40 PDT 2014

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 4:15 AM, Christopher Jones
<jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>wrote:

> I think, if true, it would be a killer point, as it would mean we would
> benefit automatically, with existing archives.

Trunk has now been updated to accept --with-bzip2=<path>. Previously trying
to configure with a local install of bzip2 or lbzip2 failed (
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/43204 ).

If you go this route, make sure you are pointing to a
not-MacPorts-installed bzip2/lbzip2, or you will have a nasty surprise the
next time the selected tool is upgraded. lbzip2 is trivial to install
independently (it doesn't even link to -lbz2.)
 - Eric