Please help: How to ignore outdated package when upgrading?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 05:58:26 PDT 2014

On Tuesday April 22 2014 14:06:19 Asis Hallab wrote:

> I did this "forced" with the "-f" switch. Unfortunately now I can not
> see which packages depend on postgresql83 - or can i?

I think that normally MacPorts would tell you which packages prevent uninstallation (and then proceed if you supplied -f). So if you didn't get any warnings, it may be that there were no dependents.

> Is there way to infer which packages depend on another, in my case postgresql83?

port rdependents <package>

lists all dependents recursively (though I think it also lists packages you haven't installed).

The other way to proceed, after you figure out which packages depend on an obsolete package you want to purge, is to do a port install of said packages without the variant linking to your obsolete package (e.g. perl5.12). This should typically give you a variant that depends on the new dependency, and you can then uninstall the other package.

R.