Please help: How to ignore outdated package when upgrading?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Apr 22 15:45:19 PDT 2014

On Apr 22, 2014, at 07:58, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Tuesday April 22 2014 14:06:19 Asis Hallab wrote:
>
>> I did this "forced" with the "-f" switch. Unfortunately now I can not
>> see which packages depend on postgresql83 - or can i?
>
> I think that normally MacPorts would tell you which packages prevent uninstallation (and then proceed if you supplied -f). So if you didn't get any warnings, it may be that there were no dependents.
>
>> Is there way to infer which packages depend on another, in my case postgresql83?
>
> port rdependents <package>
>
> lists all dependents recursively (though I think it also lists packages you haven't installed).

That appears to require the port to still be installed:

$ port rdependents postgresql83
Error: Registry error: postgresql83 not registered as installed.

However, this doesn’t:

$ port echo rdependentof:postgresql83

That produces no output on my system so perhaps it only deals with installed packages.

This, on the other hand, lists all ports depending directly on postgresql83, regardless whether they’re installed or not:

$ port echo depends:postgresql83
BigSQL
libpqxx26
libzdb-postgresql83