Macports tasks not launching at boot. policy?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 24 15:41:38 PDT 2014

On Apr 24, 2014, at 10:44, Julien T wrote:

>> Did the user run `port load …` ?
>
> normally port load is the same as
> launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.${port}.plist
>
> so yes, it was.
> but from what re-reading docs gave me, plist doesn't make daemon start at boot/startup, it's RunAtLoad which does or eventually with OnDemand/KeepAlive
> See
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/Manpages/man5/launchd.plist.5.html
> http://launchd.info/

It has always been the case previously that “sudo port load foo” (which is equivalent to “sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.foo.plist”) would start the server immediately and at every subsequent system startup, while “sudo port unload foo” (which is equivalent to “sudo launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.foo.plist”) would stop the server immediately and prevent it from starting at subsequent system startups.

Is that no longer happening for you?