request change in macports documentation about downloading xcode.

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Apr 25 02:39:39 PDT 2014

Could the advice about downloading Xcode please  be slightly improved? I spent a few hours last night battling to get Macports reinstalled last night, with continual errors. I restarted the process from scratch at least 2 times.

Finally I started writing to this forum about my woes, and decided I needed to tell people which version of xcode I was using. It was only at that point that I realized that, although I had downloaded the latest version of Xcode, as instructed, nevertheless it needed Xcode to be launched before it would work correctly. (Apple was requiring some modification of Xcode before launching xcode and needed admin permission to do so.)

Magic—all errors previously reported by macports went away.

Could you add to the Macports instructions that Xcode should be launched at least once before doing anything within Macports itself?

Thanks.