Weird happenings with mysql

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Wed Aug 6 10:07:05 PDT 2014

On Aug 5, 2014, at 7:12 PM, Jeff Greenberg <listmail.ayendesigns at gmail.com> wrote:

> My bigger point of confusion is WHERE to do this or even how to confirm what I'm running.

$ ps ax | grep mysqld

> Further, though 'which mysql' points to /opt/local, starting and stopping the service is accomplished via a mysql page with a button via the OSX (10.8.5) settings page. When it is off, there is no mysql client available.

If you are using one of the mysql databases supplied by MacPorts the preferred way of starting and stopping the database is by loading and unloading the *.server port.

Example for mysql55-server:
$ sudo port install mysql55-server
$ sudo port load mysql55-server

> finds only two, one in /opt/local/etc/mysql5 and the other in /opt/local/etc/mysql55.

Please use mysql55 or newer. If you need help moving your databases I can help, it is usually very easy.

> mysql client: show variables like "%version%";

What command are you typing to call the mysql client?

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)