Weird happenings with mysql

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Wed Aug 6 12:41:37 PDT 2014

At 10:07 AM -0700 8/6/14, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>On Aug 5, 2014, at 7:12 PM, Jeff Greenberg
><listmail.ayendesigns at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > My bigger point of confusion is WHERE to do this or even how to
>confirm what I'm running.
>
>$ ps ax | grep mysqld
>
>>  Further, though 'which mysql' points to /opt/local, starting and
>>stopping the service is accomplished via a mysql page with a button
>>via the OSX (10.8.5) settings page. When it is off, there is no
>>mysql client available.
>
>If you are using one of the mysql databases supplied by MacPorts the
>preferred way of starting and stopping the database is by loading
>and unloading the *.server port.
>
>Example for mysql55-server:
>$ sudo port install mysql55-server
>$ sudo port load mysql55-server

Jeff says he uses the Preference panel to stop/start MySQL.  I
believe he is referring to this:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql-macosx-excerpt/5.5/en/macosx-installation-prefpane.html

(Or the equivalent for 5.1.x)

That almost certainly means that he has also installed MySQL via the
official .dmg installer...which could explain some of the confusion!

>  > finds only two, one in /opt/local/etc/mysql5 and the other in
>/opt/local/etc/mysql55.
>
>Please use mysql55 or newer. If you need help moving your databases
>I can help, it is usually very easy.

I believe the .dmg installer puts a basic my.cnf in /etc.  The
MySQL's from MacPorts will find and _use_ this config file, if it
exists.  I believe /etc is searched _before_ /opt/local/etc/mysql55
(etc).

>  > mysql client: show variables like "%version%";
>
>What command are you typing to call the mysql client?

What does 'echo $PATH' report?

Craig