X11_MacPort Problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 13 03:02:41 PDT 2014

Please use the Reply All function when you reply, so that your message goes to the list too, not just to me. My reply is below...

On Aug 13, 2014, at 4:52 AM, Samuel Cousin wrote:

> Hi Ryan, Thx for the help.
>
> So X11.app quite itself and reopens, yes. When I restart the computer X11 don’t start (obviously) but if i try to run an application using it (for me it’s xmGrace) the loops can not be stop…
> I’m using the 10.9.4 of OSX. For X11 I’m using XQuartz 2.7.6. For the Xcode I’m using 5.1.1.
>
> Obviously i tried several time to restart my computer. Without any improvement.
>
> It was working since 6 month. The problem appeared yesterday, and I really don’t know why.
>
> For the question of the xorg-server, i’m afraid that i don’t know the answer. I’m not very good in computer, and i switch to mac at the beginning of my PhD 10 month ago. So I’m slow :)
>
> And for the last question, the problem is that I instal MacPorts without knowing what I was doing. So if I look at all directory, it’s a pur mess… I think that it can produce conflict etc… I think the best way is to try to reinstall everything. But I’m not very confident knowing my computer skill…
>
> Thanks a lot (again)

At this time I see nothing that would suggest reinstalling MacPorts or any ports would help anything.

If you have XQuartz, then you're probably using XQuartz's X11.app, not MacPorts'. That's fine; you can use either one. They're basically the same software, maintained by the same person. Installing xorg-server with MacPorts has some advantages over using the XQuartz distribution if you're using MacPorts anyway:

 * MacPorts gets updates more frequently than XQuartz so MacPorts versions are slightly more up to date
 * You won't have duplicate copies of X11 software (one in XQuartz, one in MacPorts)
 * You can update everything using MacPorts and don't have to separately update XQuartz

But it's up to you which one you use.

If it's quitting unexpectedly, are crash logs being generated? Check in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/. If so, show us a recent one.