libgcc update ... to 4.9?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 20 15:37:41 PDT 2014

On Aug 20, 2014, at 4:05 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> In fact, is there a way to get those installed manually, should `port` not pick them up for whatever reason? For ports that take as long to build as gcc or libgcc, replacing the build time with a bit of terminal exercise is still an immense gain of time.

There are several reasons why MacPorts would not attempt to download a binary:

* your prefix is not /opt/local
* your applications_dir is not /Applications/MacPorts
* your frameworks_dir is not /opt/local/Library/Frameworks
* the port prohibits the use of binaries
* you've edited macports.conf and requested source builds only

There may be other conditions I'm forgetting.

If all the conditions are met, though, MacPorts will attempt to fetch a binary. If it fails, it will attempt to build from source.

Reasons for the fetch to fail include:

* no binary is available for the given OS and arch and variant combination
* your network is having problems
* our server is down

Reasons why a binary might not be available include:

* the combination of licenses of the port and all its dependencies does not permit binary redistribution
* the port or one of its dependencies does not build
* our buildbot is having problems