pdfTeX in texlive missing pdftex.fmt

Jim Graham spooky130u at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 16:44:08 PDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 07:01:51PM -0400, Lawrence Vel?zquez wrote:
> On Aug 28, 2014, at 6:18 PM, Jim Graham <spooky130u at gmail.com> wrote:

> The texlive-basic port already provides the pdfTeX software. That does
> not mean that it provides "pdftex.fmt". Like I said, it's a transient
> file. You should be able to regenerate it.

That file would be part of pdfTeX....  And it always has been in the
past.  And, as I said, it WAS on my system.  I can't even begin to
explain what happened to it...there's been no drive issues, etc., to
cause it to vanish.

> http://verahill.blogspot.fr/2012/04/solved-latex-bug-tcfmgr-config-file.html

Their solution didn't change anything.  I tried searching on google,
but they kept changng pdftex to pdflatex ... which is NOT what I
was searching for (and I kept getting the same non-answer).  But if
that file was missing, I'm probably going to have to re-generate
the fmt files for TeX, METAFONT, etc., too.  I'm going to have to
dig up my 30 year old copy of The TeXbook to remember how to re-do
those files.....  It's been a VERY long time (at least 10 years)
since I've had to replace one (that got damaged---it was on an
old Linux system where the PC itself was failing daily until I
officially retired it, leaving only the FreeBSD system).

Or maybe I will just grab pdfTeX from CTAN and use it instead.

Thanks for trying,
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)          | "Some people are like Slinkies, they serve no