Error: llvm-3.1 is not supported on Mavericks or later.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 29 05:07:45 PDT 2014

On Aug 29, 2014, at 5:59 AM, David Nicholls wrote:

> Doing a macports install after upgrading to Mavericks, and the above error is reported.
>
> Since quite a lot of important stuff depends on this, how do I work around it?

Nothing depends on llvm-3.1, except clang-3.1:

$ port echo depends:llvm-3.1
clang-3.1

These are old versions of clang and llvm, superseded by newer versions which you should use instead.

If on your system things seem to depend on llvm-3.1, examine the variants of your installed ports. Specifically, you may have ld64 and/or cctools installed with the +llvm31 variant. If so, reinstall those ports with newer llvm variants instead.