You have a new notification from avijitshee88 at gmail.com. View?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Dec 1 08:05:59 PST 2014

On Mon, 1 Dec 2014, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> > The spam and spammer isn't really interesting though.  I think it's
> > more interesting that it was let through.  The list software should do
> > a bit more than a naïve string match against the "From:" field...
>
> I have no reason to believe that that's what the list software does. I
> don't know what it does though. The software is Mailman, so if anyone
> wants to investigate and let us know, that would be great.

It would use either "Return-Path:" (derived from the envelope), or "From:"
(which as we can see can be forged).  I don't have the original message
any more, unfortunately, as the only spam I save (yes, really) are those
reported to SpamCop.

The Subject: probably ought to be changed, as the OP would be feeling a
little embarrassed by now...

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)