"concurrent" qt4-mac: request feedback & testing for current port phase in Portfile?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 12:57:35 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 2:27 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The thing is, if ever we want to allow Qt4 and Qt5 to be present at the
> same time, the installation location will *have* to change, and dependent
> ports will have to comply with that.
> >
> >Yes, but not by using variants. MacPorts doesn't have the capability to
> declare a dependency on a variant (ticket #126) and I'm still not convinced
> that that should ever change.

How about a main port with the new paths, and a stub port or subport that
depends on the main port, conflicts with qt4-mac, and installs the
symlinks? Then we can replace qt4-mac with the stub port at some point.
(Maybe make the stub port qt4-mac-devel, so it's maybe already handled as a
potential dependency *and* it's announcing that it will eventually replace
qt4-mac.)