MacPorts clang performance (and arm_runtime)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 12:25:02 PST 2014

On Saturday December 20 2014 15:01:41 Craig Treleaven wrote:

> Re the speed impact, it would be easy enough to
> install with -assertions and do A-B tests to
> quantitfy the difference.

True. And I'd have done that for smaller ports. Building llvm + clang and having it installed in several variants would take me more time and other resources than I find reasonable.

Besides, I'm experiencing difficulties building clang-3.6 as it is (10.9.5, CommandLineTools 6.1 and Xcode 5.1).

> Related, but an aside...the ability to have
> multiple versions installed and switch among them
> with port activate/deactivate is brilliant.  :)

That it is, and I've been finding myself missing that feature on my Linux boxes quite a few times already.

R.