Howto enable gd for PHP 5.3.28

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Feb 9 21:09:58 PST 2014

On Feb 9, 2014, at 22:27, Tim Johnson <tim at akwebsoft.com> wrote:

> * Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> [140209 19:10]:
>>
>> On Feb 9, 2014, at 21:35, Tim Johnson <tim at akwebsoft.com> wrote:
> <...>
>>>  how? I think I need to find the plist file and remove it.
>
>> Open System Preferences, go to Sharing, uncheck the box next to
>> Web Sharing. That is, if you’re using an older version of OS X. If
>> you’re using a newer version of OS X, the setting has been removed
>> by Apple, and you’ll have to find out the name of the plist, and
>> unload it using launchctl. Removing the plist file is not
>> something I would recommend doing; it is a part of Apple’s system
>> software which you should not modify. Removing the plist will not
>> stop the services it controls.
>  Web Sharing is *not* checked as a service in that window.
>  I presume that I have overridden it by originally having used
>  apachectl?

If you started it using apachectl, then stop it with apachectl — or just restart the computer, since apachectl is a one-off operation that’s not persistent and doesn’t survive restarts. launchd, controlled with launchctl, is persistent and does survive restarts. If you don’t remember how you started Apple’s apache, then do restart the computer and see if it’s still running. If it’s not, you’re done. If it’s still (i.e. again) running, then you need to figure out how you requested that behavior. The usual method, since Mac OS X v10.4, is to use launchd, which is what System Preferences manipulates. Prior to 10.4, systemstarter startup items were used. To control them, edit /etc/hostconfig, then restart.