help ...

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Tue Feb 11 16:22:18 PST 2014

On 11/02/2014, at 11:25 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:07 PM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
> I reinstalled snow leopard but xcode failed to install 'Unknown error ..."
> The googled fixes did not work, but that with support and deep black magic and xcode installed
>
> You installed Xcode 5 on Snow Leopard?! Xcode 3.6 would have been smarter (you can still find it buried in the apple developer downloads).
>
> Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process /opt/local/libexec/gnome-terminal-server exited with status 1
>
> Is dbus running? Both sides (there's a LaunchDaemon running as root and a LaunchAgent running as you)?

Brendon why do you think xcode 5? It is 3.6.2
(And much spelinking shows that the certificate for the iPhone SDK has expired so I installed the unix tools only, that worked)

In desperation I installed gnome-terminal from fink. It too does not work, but for other reasons. But NOW the mac ports version does work !!
Clearly dark magic is happening, but I want a terminal for other stuff, so I'm happy (but confused)

I had already done launchctrl as prescribed - the LaunchDaemon and LaunchAgent are a total mystery to me, where can I learn about?

James