help ...

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 16:30:02 PST 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 7:22 PM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> On 11/02/2014, at 11:25 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:07 PM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
> > I reinstalled snow leopard but xcode failed to install 'Unknown error
> ..."
> > The googled fixes did not work, but that with support and deep black
> magic and xcode installed
> >
> > You installed Xcode 5 on Snow Leopard?! Xcode 3.6 would have been
> smarter (you can still find it buried in the apple developer downloads).
> Brendon why do you think xcode 5? It is 3.6.2
> (And much spelinking shows that the certificate for the iPhone SDK has
> expired so I installed the unix tools only, that worked)

You didn't specify and last I checked older xcode-s installed fine on older
OS revisions (iPhone SDKs will whine but I don't even install those,
they're optional until at least 4.x).

> Error constructing proxy for
> org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling
> StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal:
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process
> /opt/local/libexec/gnome-terminal-server exited with status 1
> >
> > Is dbus running? Both sides (there's a LaunchDaemon running as root and
> a LaunchAgent running as you)?
> In desperation I installed gnome-terminal from fink. It too does not work,
> but for other reasons. But NOW the mac ports version does work !!
> Clearly dark magic is happening, but I want a terminal for other stuff, so
> I'm happy (but confused)

That sounds like Fink installed and activated dbus and gnome is now using
it. I would not want to bet on that being stable though (dbus from Fink
with everything else from MacPorts).

Alternately you logged out and back in at some point (and maybe rebooted
for the system end but I don't think that's necessary?) and that activated
MacPorts' dbus-session agent.

> I had already done launchctrl as prescribed - the LaunchDaemon and
> LaunchAgent are a total mystery to me, where can I learn about?

That's what the stuff in `port notes dbus` is talking about. Note that you
have to log out and back in for launchd to be able to put the environment
variable pointing to the dbus agent into the environment.

LaunchDaemons run as root and are started at system boot; that's what
dbus-system.plist uses to start the system end of dbus.

LaunchAgents run as the user and are started at login; that's what
dbus-session uses to start the dbus user agent. It also puts a pointer to
the dbus agent socket into the environment, without which programs like
gnome-terminal can't find the dbus user agent.