problem with install of gmt

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Feb 25 23:39:21 PST 2014

On Feb 25, 2014, at 16:25, Robert Broome wrote:

> I am trying to install gmt5 and find a problem with an obsolete dependancy.
> I installed gshhg-gmt as a separate macport install. It installed correctly. That didn’t help. Apparently the install script is still trying to install the obsolete gshhg-gmt-nc4 instead of the new gshhg-gmt.
>
> I am still waiting for my confirming TRAC email, I hope this shortcut will find favor with the maintainers….
>

> I get the following:
> sudo port install gmt5
> --->  Computing dependencies for gmt5
> --->  Dependencies to be installed: gshhg-gmt-nc4
> --->  Configuring gshhg-gmt-nc4
> Error: gshhg-gmt-nc4 has been made obsolete by the port gshhg-gmt. Please install gshhg-gmt instead.
> Error: org.macports.configure for port gshhg-gmt-nc4 returned: obsolete port
> Error: Failed to install gshhg-gmt-nc4
> Please see the log file for port gshhg-gmt-nc4 for details:
>    /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_science_gshhg-gmt-nc4/gshhg-gmt-nc4/main.log
> Error: The following dependencies were not installed: gshhg-gmt-nc4
> To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
>    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
> Error: Processing of port gmt5 failed

Indeed, gmt4 and gmt5 declare a dependency on gshhg-gmt-nc4, but gshhg-gmt-nc4 has been replaced. It is not proper to declare a dependency on a replaced port, so this is a bug.

Please report this bug to the maintainers of gmt4 and gmt5. Ideally, file a bug report in Trac. If that is not possible, please email the maintainers. You can get their addresses by running “port info gmt4 gmt5”. (They might respond faster to direct mail than posts on the mailing list; they might not even be subscribed to the list.)