uninstalling a selected port ...

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 05:44:23 PST 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-28 at 14:33 +0100, Peter Danecek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I observe a behaviour, which I believe is due to the fact that I
> uninstalled an selected port (see below). This seems to leave the
> selection mechanism in an undesired state and should be handled. Now I
> wonder which is the expected behaviour, so that I can eventually file
> a ticket against the right component.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --- snip ---
>
> petr% sudo port select --list postgresql
> Available versions for postgresql:
> 	none (active)
> 	postgresql93
>
> petr% sudo port select --set postgresql postgresql93
> Selecting 'postgresql93' for 'postgresql' failed: symlink: /opt/local/etc/select/postgresql/current -> postgresql93: file already exists

Try forcing the issue.

sudo port -f select --set postgresql postgresql93

In my opinion, such protection is a Good Thing (TM).  There's a way to
work around it if you know the reason behind the file collision, but I
certainly wouldn't want a program (especially one I run as root) to go
around clobbering existing files without me knowing it.

Hope this helps,
Jason

--
Jason M. Swails